Adsense

Thursday 30 January 2014

App Review! - The Roald Dahl Audio App



What is it!?
It's an iPhone / iPad application, which allows you to download and listen to the Roald Dahl classics, such as 'The BFG' and 'The Twits'!




Tell me more!


Created by Puffin Books to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'!


This is a great little app (not to mention a CHEAP alternative to buying books via Audio CD!) for you to listen to your Roald Dahl favorites on your Apple devices!

Personally I love this as, apart from money-saving, this app saves a lot of time! e.g. If I were to buy an audio CD, I would need to: Wait for delivery, then at home transfer the chapters to my iPhone then listen in little snippets. As far as I can remember, doing it like this I would need to remember where I left it when I close the music app.. HOWEVER, this app remembers where you paused it! I can get on a train to work and listen to part of a story, THEN listen to the rest of it on the way back home exactly where I left it and WITHOUT the hassle of finding my place!

This, like other music apps; has the nifty option of being able to lock your phone and blackout the screen without affecting the storytelling, it just keeps going, which is great!

The stories themselves are read by some big names! Such as the like of David Walliams (Little Britain & The Gangster Granny), Kate Winslet (Titanic) and Richard Ayoade (The IT Crowd) and even the great Stephen Fry (QI) is in on the action!

Content:
Includes a biog of the man himself! (Roald Dahl)

A help section, very informative and covers pretty much everything you need to use the app!
For those that download on a few devices you can restore purchases then either download or stream via 3G OR WIFI.
Unfortunately there is no "contact us" section which was a problem for me as I downloaded something and now can't play it...

What the boy thought!?
Well my Son loved this app, he loves stories and being able to listen to them is great! for us too as he can sit still and just listen.. nice and quiet little boy!!

How much?
The books vary from book to book, from £1.49 to £4.99, (these are about £2 dearer on Amazon as Audio CD's) Don't believe me? check for yourself on the right!

The Verdict:
Great little app, if you love the Roald Dahl collection, then you'll love this app! It's cheaper than the books AND the audio CD's on offer!

At the moment this app is only exclusive to the Apple market, which is a shame because Android users would love to get in on the action! Especially with all the kiddie based Android tablets/ phones out there at the moment!

The Roald Dahl Audio Book App is available from TODAY, the FIRST chapter of each book is FREE to listen to! So go and download it!! NOW!




No comments:

Post a Comment