Adsense

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Earth To Echo - Film Review!

What is it?

Earth To Echo is a family film based around four kids who live in a valley which will soon be demolished and replaced by a freeway and their last night turns into a race against time, to assist a fallen alien in getting back to his home planet. 

As soon as I heard this plot I thought, ok, Goonies plus E.T. Could be either a massive flop, or a great success, both 1980 films were fantastic and also films which I remember putting on constantly as I loved them so much. So really this film had alot to prove in my eyes.




What my son and I thought

Too Cute Right!?!?!!
From the get go, you realise this film maybe recorded and shown in the first person. Its takes its shape as a filmed account of one of the boys. So you then got a kind of Cloverfield view, riding abount on thekids  bikes, hiding behind things etc. my son was captivated from the start and loved the look of the alien; Echo. I said it was a mash up of Goonies and E.T. And I stick to my initial thoughts. You have the kids wanting a last adventure together, the bad guys, the alien who needs help of the kids, a few soppy moments and an amazing ending that couldn't possibly happen. 

This film keeps you watching but there are some scenes which are a little boring and not really needed. I think the film would have been better if it was edited by the boy so it's completely filmed in the first person, a little like The Blair Witch or Cloverfield.

There's an amazing scene in the film where the kids and Echo are are fleeing from the bad guys and nearly have a head on collision with an 18 wheeler truck, Echo steps in and takes apart the entire truck and lets the kids sail past! THEN the trust get put back together behind them! AMAZING! (There's also a special feature of how this scene was constructed) VERY clever!


The Verdict

For the most part my son was entertained which means it must be great for kids. To get a feel for what he's like, he asked me during the last four films when it was going to be finished! So to not get that is a BIG bonus.

Earth to Echo is out for general release on Blu-ray (RRP £24.99), DVD (£19.99) and Digital Download on 17th November! The below great special features are on the disc's too:

FRIENDS NO MATTER HOW FAR
CREATING THE TRUCK SCENE (FANTASTIC!)
CASTING THE CHARACTERS
WE MADE THAT!: THE MAKING OF EARTH TO ECHO
DELETED SCENES

So watch out! If you liked Cloverfield and your kids like/may like Goonies or E.T. then I urge you to get this film! Pre-book on Amazon here!


No comments:

Post a Comment